Tapestry

Tapestry
Tapestry

A while back Charles gave me several of the torch bases from the HA mold #85. They have been sitting on the second shelf of my desk and I got tired of staring at them. A few months ago I tried to make a torch with a toothpick and cotton swab and it just turned out looking like a q-tip accident gone horribly, horribly wrong.

After tinkering with a toothpick in it, the idea hit me to make it into a tapestry. I realized I already had everything that I needed so I got started.

The supplies used sans paint and glue. Twine that I unraveled one of the pieces from the three twisted together, two toothpicks, small jewelry ring, and scrap material.

The supplies used sans paint and glue. Twine that I unraveled one of the pieces from the three twisted together, two toothpicks, small jewelry ring, and scrap material.

First, I painted the torch base a copper metallic to match the theme of our current dungeon. I cut the ends off of the two toothpicks and then I took a homemade stain and stained the toothpicks a dark brown.

Next, I glued one of the toothpicks into the torch base.

Toothpick inserted While that was drying I toke one of the jewelry rings and cut it in half. I picked these up at Hobby Lobby ages ago when I attempted to make mini chain mail. (I will save that for another post.) I don’t know the exact sizes of them because I don’t have the original packaging. Just pick up something pretty small.

I used a pair of old wire cutters to cut this in half.

I used a pair of old wire cutters to cut this in half.

Next, I laid the torch base on it’s side and attempted to glue this tiny little half ring to it. This was probably the hardest part. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold it while the glue started to initially harden. I dipped the ends of the ring in Aleene’s Tacky Glue and then held it in place for a few moments while it started to dry a bit. Then I used the pliers to hold the ring up. It kept wanting to fall over while drying.

Gluing the ring onWhile that was drying I started cutting out the tapestry. I just eyeballed the size and kept cutting until I got the shape I wanted. Luckily, when making an outfit for Halloween a couple of years ago I had picked up the $1 handkerchiefs that Hobby Lobby sells. I just grabbed one of those when looking around for some fabric. I don’t recommend buying anything expensive. This fabric did the trick.

I then cut down the other toothpick to fit the size of the tapestry with just a little extra on each side.

I then cut down the other toothpick to fit the size of the tapestry with just a little extra on each side.

I didn’t take any pictures of the actual painting of the tapestry. I thinned out an olive green acrylic paint with a bit of water. Not enough to make it milk consistency, but just enough to let it flow around the fabric. The paint dries really quickly so you can move fast on this process. I then mixed up a bloody red and painted on the sun symbol. After that was dryish I took a dark brown wash and dabbed it around. I specifically paid attention to the edges of the tapestry. I was trying to go for a worn look.

TapestryOnce it was completely dry I put a line of glue on the edge of the tapestry and rolled it onto the toothpick. I then let that dry for a bit.

The next part is a bit tricky. I took the twine and wrapped it around one end of the tapestry. After it dried I fed the twine with the tapestry attached through the ring on the stand itself. Carefully, I wrapped and glued the twine to the other side of the tapestry then cut the excess off.

Voila! Tapestry. I want to make more of these with different shapes and designs on the tapestry. When I do it again I think I am going to wait to glue the metal ring on after I have the twine attached to the tapestry and glue the ring over it instead of trying to thread it through.